Guest Editors Guildelines
by: MAI , October 9, 2020
by: MAI , October 9, 2020
At MAI we are open to working on focus issues with qualified guest editors who are experts in their fields. If you are interested in such a role, please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals for guest-edited issues should centre on a unique subject area. Once our managing editors accept your request to guest edit, you will be responsible for:
- Preparing the CFP
- Promoting the CFP
- Reviewing abstracts
- Informing authors if their abstract is approved or rejected
- Commissioning articles (reaching out to potential authors where appropriate)
- Managing the peer review process
- Editing texts & references as per MAI Submission Guidelines (Texts with stylistic or grammatical errors cannot be accepted for publication. Texts that are not edited in line with MAI Style will be returned to the guest editor(s) for corrections.)
- Contacting authors to get banner pictures (with captions), authors’ pics and bio notes for authors’ profiles to be published on MAI website
- Making sure all materials submitted with each article are copyright clear
- Sending managing editors a full itemised list of all submissions with email contact details for each author (when the issue is ready for the final website edit)
- Uploading all texts & pictures to MAI Google Drive issue folder
- Clear communication with the managing editors about your progress (email once a month after reviewing abstracts)
- Communication with authors regarding revisions
- Writing short descriptions (excerpts) for each article for the table of contents (max 2 lines). Please check past MAI issues for examples.
- Where possible, promotion of the issue via academic channels and/or social media (after publication)
Managing Editors are responsible for:
- Web production of each issue
- Final text edits
- Final approval of articles for publication
- The order of the articles in the table of contents
- The editors’ note at the front of each guest-edited issue
We are looking forward to working with you.
WHO SUPPORTS US
The team of MAI supporters and contributors is always expanding. We’re honoured to have a specialist collective of editors, whose enthusiasm & talent gave birth to MAI.
However, to turn our MAI dream into reality, we also relied on assistance from high-quality experts in web design, development and photography. Here we’d like to acknowledge their hard work and commitment to the feminist cause. Our feminist ‘thank you’ goes to:
Dots+Circles – a digital agency determined to make a difference, who’ve designed and built our MAI website. Their continuous support became a digital catalyst to our idealistic project.
Guy Martin – an award-winning and widely published British photographer who’s kindly agreed to share his images with our readers
Chandler Jernigan – a talented young American photographer whose portraits hugely enriched the visuals of MAI website
Matt Gillespie – a gifted professional British photographer who with no hesitation gave us permission to use some of his work
Julia Carbonell – an emerging Spanish photographer whose sharp outlook at contemporary women grasped our feminist attention
Ana Pedreira – a self-taught Portuguese photographer whose imagery from women protests beams with feminist aura
And other photographers whose images have been reproduced here: Cezanne Ali, Les Anderson, Mike Wilson, Annie Spratt, Cristian Newman, Peter Hershey